If you have been keeping up with my Instagram you might have noticed that I am out in Arizona again! This time we are doing a trip with a bunch of girlfriends for a long weekend. We have sure been enjoying our time in the sun and taking a break from our Minnesota snow! While I have been here I have been trying to do a little workout each day and eating well so that I can stay on track with my fitness.
A while back you might remember that I did a post on staying fit on a work trip but this time I wanted to provide a little inspiration on how to stay fit while on vacation! It is super easy to get into a careless mindset while on vacation since you are taking a break from everything else, why not your fitness too, right? But I am telling you from experience man, as soon as you get home from your indulgent vacation you will regret it. You don’t want to derail all of the progress you have made from the last few months just because you are away from your routines! Of course you should enjoy yourself and fall a little outside your strict guidelines but I think it is important to still find ways to stay active and eat well while you are away from your regular routines.
Here are a few ways that we have been trying to stay on track with our fitness goals while on vaycay:
- Running outside. This one might not seem too exciting but if you have been trapped on the treadmill all winter like us Minnesota gals this is really refreshing. Running outside while you’re on a trip lets you explore and take in the scenes, while distracting you from the dreadful cardio that you are undertaking. It is also a good challenge for your body to run outside if you are used to the treadmill or other machine.
- Poolside workout. Get your sunshine in while getting your abs on! One thing I love to do is use the Nike Training Club app. This is a free app that you can download and it is basically like having a personal trainer right in your phone. They have have tons of little workouts to choose from and makes it so easy to do quickly and get one with your day! Otherwise, you can always find good at home workouts on Pinterest as well.
- Hiking. This is another way to take in all of the new scenes and explore while getting your cardio in! If you’re staying somewhere brand new to everyone in the group try asking some locals or hotel staff about some scenic places that would be fun to explore. Here in Arizona there are mountains right in the back yard that make it so easy to just throw on some tennis shoes and start climbing!
- Cardio burst. This is another good one to do by the pool or in the hotel to get done quickly and out of the way! A cardio burst is where you can set a timer for 12 minutes and do 20 rounds of each exercise and get as many rounds in as you can before the timer runs out. No breaks! It is exhausting but it is nice and quick! Try doing these cardio exercises: Jump squats, burpees, jumping jacks, jump rope, and mountain climber. Then repeat until your timer runs out!
- Eating well while eating out. If you are anything like me, eating out while you are on vacation is a given. Especially if you are with a group of people like we are. It is a fun social activity that keeps everyone together around the same table while getting to try new places and foods. A while back I did a post on Healthy Ways to Eat Out that might be helpful for you to stay on track with your fitness goals while enjoying eating at restaurants.
I hope some of these tips help you for your next vacation! I will post more soon about a couple of our adventures while out in the desert, stay tuned!