^Scoping out the bling for the first time
^ When he told me there was a photographer capturing everything!
You might have seen through social media already but I’M ENGAGED!! The love of my life proposed to me on May 13th and we couldn’t be more happy. He thought of EVERY detail and wasn’t sleeping for days ahead of time because he couldn’t shut his brain off from thinking everything over. He really made it the most perfect day ever with the most epic proposal. Here’s how it went:
- Saturday I was just hanging out at his house with him and I got a text from his sister, Anna. She sent out a group text to all his sisters asking if anyone was available to go get a manicure because her boss canceled on her for their appointment that afternoon. Everyone else said they were busy so I happily volunteered! We went and got mani pedis together in a nearby town and had a great afternoon just hanging out together.
- When we got back from our mani pedi appointment he was telling me how he was so excited because this guy he has been talking to was going to let him test drive his airplane and let us take it out to his hometown for the night (something I should mention is that Daniel is a pilot and he took me flying for our first date, SWOON). We were planning to go to his home town to celebrate his dad’s birthday and Mother’s day that night anyway. He gets so thrilled with any opportunity to fly so I really didn’t think much of all his excitement. He told me this elaborate story about how he is already checked out to fly ‘harder’ planes and this one is simpler so he is automatically checked out in this one. Yada yada yada, you’re the pilot man, not me! He casually mentions how his dad mowed a strip in the field for him to land but Daniel said he still wasn’t sure if he could do that or if we would have to go to the local airport. He said he would know once we flew over it.
- We were getting ready to ride out to the plane and I was just in jean shorts and a t-shirt. He tells me how his parents want to get going right away for dinner when we get out there so I better change into my dress for that night. So I changed out of my clothes into my dress and didn’t think much of it.
- We finally get to the plane and we snapped a couple pictures and he buckled me up. It is a pretty tiny plane so my seat was directly behind his. These planes fly pretty low so it was a really great ride out there checking out all the farms and pretty houses along the way.
- I knew we were going to be going to dinner with his entire family and that they would be waiting for us at his parents farm. So we flew really low over their house and everyone was standing outside waving at us! Then we buzzed the area where his dad had mowed and he said “this must be the spot my dad was talking about, we can totally land here!” Again, I’m thinking, ‘you’re the pilot, man. Just get me on the ground in one piece.’
- So we land in the field at his parents place and he taxi’s the plane a little bit so it is seated perfectly on his favorite spot on the farm. Its a little hill that overlooks the lake and the sun was setting over it. We hop out of the plane and I wonder out loud “where is your family? Didn’t they see us land over here?” thinking that they would have rushed over to check out the plane and greet us. He just casually says “they probably couldn’t hear it and think we went out to the local airport.” So I let it be. He has me put stoppers on either side of the tire on the opposite side of the plane from where we were standing. While I do that, he sticks the ring in his back pocket!
- I come back around to his side and he opens his aviation bag and he says “Oh my gosh, this letter!” “What letter?” I reply. “I wrote you this letter a long time ago, and I must have forgotten to give it to you.” “Well what does it say?!” I demand. “Here, I’ll read it to you.” He begins reading the letter, holding my hand, and starts walking in the direction of the lake where the sign he made me is. The sign faces the opposite direction of where the plane landed and there is a ‘no hunting’ sign posted on the back of it so I don’t think it’s weird that there is a giant sign in the middle of the field.
- We come around the front of the sign but my eyes are locked on him. He was trembling and his voice was cracking so I started to know something was up. Then he reads “I want to spend the rest of my life with you, and I wanted to show you this sign” as he points to it. Then, before I know it, he is down on one knee!
- I shout “yes!” and just like that, we are engaged! It was the happiest, most overwhelming moment of my life. Then he begins to tell me that he actually had to get ten hours of flight time to get checked out in this plane so he has secretly been flying for weeks. He had to be checked out in a plane that could land on rough ground rather than a smooth runway. He told me that he set up the whole mani pedi appointment ahead of time to make sure my nails were done, that this entire weekend was for us and we are not celebrating his dad’s birthday after all, and he made sure I was wearing a dress because he said how he hired a photographer to capture this entire moment. I look where he points and a cute photographer pops up from the long grass and waves! And his sister, Anna, was also hiding taking photos and she pops up and waves too! They come towards us and all of a sudden we are in the middle of our engagement photo shoot. It was so well thought out and planned!
- His family was given stern directions on staying up by the house and not to come rush the plane, which is actually why they didn’t come greet us right away. We walked up to the house and everyone was cheering and waiting with champagne to celebrate us!
- Also, the letter that he read to me is one that he wrote after our third date. He hung onto it the whole time waiting for the moment when he would propose. In the letter he describes how he feels about me and how if he is reading it to me that means he didn’t mess this thing up and he wants to spend the rest of his life with me. The last sentence is him asking me to marry him!! He is so perfect and I can’t believe how lucky I am to be so in love with this amazing man and have him feel the same way about me.
Now to start wedding planning! Eek!
Thank you so much to Rachel for capturing these amazing photos! Head to racheljoykeller.com to book her!
And another special thank you to Daniel’s sister, Anna! You also captured so many amazing pictures and I know the day would not have gone as smoothly as Daniel would have liked without you there. Can’t wait to be your sissy!