You guys!!! We leave for Banff National Park later this week! Daniel and I are going with his best friend and his best friend’s girlfriend for a super duper double date. I am so so so excited! We will be in Canada for a full week and about half of our time spent there will be camping and then the other half in an Air bnb (read my post from a while back about alternatives to staying in hotels for more deets on that).
Since we are flying, we are trying to be really conscious about what we pack for the camping portion. We will have a vehicle with us so that makes things a bit easier but we still want to try and pack minimally while still being comfortable. We decided that each couple will have a checked bag to hold camping supplies and then the rest of our stuff will just go in carry ons. So the checked bag needs to hold Daniels Yeti Cooler (which we totally and completely swear by), both of our sleeping bags, the tent, and cooking utensils. But then I got to thinking, sleeping on the ground for – several nights in a row- might be a bit more pleasant if we had camping mats for under our sleeping bags. So, as always, I did a bunch of research and these are the options I am looking at:
-Pros: self inflating, built in pillow, water repellant, can buckle up with another mat to make a larger surface to sleep on, and compresses into a pretty small pouch.
– Cons: A few reviews sad it didn’t inflate well or popped easily.
– Pros: self inflating, built in pillow, water repellant, can buckle up with another mat to make a larger surface to sleep on, lightweight, only positive reviews.
– Cons: The only con I could find is that you have to manually inflate the pillow.
– Pros: they have a guarantee that you will love it, self inflating, water repellant, lightweight, insulated.
– Cons: doesn’t compress as small as others, no pillow, doesn’t buckle with other mats.
I typically try to stick with the middle of the road when I am buying products, not the cheapest but not the most expensive. These are all pretty comparable but I think I am leaning towards the TuTu Outdoors just because I definitely want the pillow and I didn’t see anything negative about it popping or tearing. Plus, I am getting one for both Daniel and I and I can see how it would be nice to buckle the two mats together. If you guys have any suggestions for camping mats send them my way! I will be sure to give a full report on the one that I go with! 🙂